When will beekeepers wake up

frazzledfozzle

Founder Member
Experience
Commercial
In my opinion Karin Kos making these statements to the media is really making it hard for those of us that aren’t selling our honey.
Landowners read the paper and think things are booming and manuka honey is still the golden goose and believe we are lying to their face when we say how bad things are right now.

James

Gold
Experience
Commercial
Hmmm ..... the missus met a neighbour on the weekend ..... he had just sold last years crop of Manuka for $7/kg. I guess it was'nt great stuff, but the area it came from the going rate to secure sites is $150/hive .... and this afternoon the phone rang from a guy we have sold honey to in the past. He was chasing Honey Dew and offering $2.50/kg .....
What a joke .
I guess I'm gonna have to get a bigger digger in for the hole.

Experience
Commercial
In my opinion Karin Kos making these statements to the media is really making it hard for those of us that aren’t selling our honey.
Landowners read the paper and think things are booming and manuka honey is still the golden goose and believe we are lying to their face when we say how bad things are right now.
Agree
It seems that many of the reports put out by api culture are based on export prices for which there is probably reasonable data to base a report on. Trouble is export prices are worlds apart from what is being offered to beekeepers for bulk honey. Sends the wrong message to the general public.

Experience
Commercial
Absolutely! Things are difficult enough without your supposedly own helping like that!

Experience
Commercial
Agree
It seems that many of the reports put out by api culture are based on export prices for which there is probably reasonable data to base a report on. Trouble is export prices are worlds apart from what is being offered to beekeepers for bulk honey. Sends the wrong message to the general public.
If these are export prices then there seems to be a huge discrepancy between them and what we are being paid. Also sends the message to me that we're being ripped off?

Experience
Commercial
If these are export prices then there seems to be a huge discrepancy between them and what we are being paid. Also sends the message to me that we're being ripped off?
more likely they are retail pricing rather than wholesale. (tho i havn't checked the actual prices just yet)